Extension of Time to File Your Personal Income Tax Return

This is that time of the year and tax reporting and paying are going to be the talks. Need more time to prepare your federal tax return? This page provides information on how to apply for an extension of time to file. Please be aware that an extension of time to file your return does not grant you any extension of time to pay your taxes.

Personal Income Tax Due Date April 17, 2018.

April 17 is the deadline for most taxpayers to file your federal or state tax returns and even if you’re seeking an extension of time (Form 4868) and to pay taxes owed to avoid penalty and interest charges. If you file for an extension, your return is due October 15, 2018. Special rules may apply if you’re in the military or live outside the U.S.

April 17 Filing Deadline(1).png

You can also get an extension by filing IRS Tax Extension Form 4868 or by paying all or part of your estimated income tax due and indicate that the payment is for an extension using Direct Pay, the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS), or a credit or debit card. This way you won’t have to file a separate extension form and you will receive a confirmation number for your records.

File all tax returns that are due, regardless of whether or not you can pay in full. File your past due return the same way and to the same location where you would file an on-time return. If you have received a notice, make sure to send your past due return to the location indicated on the notice you received.

Other extension tax forms: 

Form 2350, Application for Extension of Time to File U.S. Income Tax Return (For U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad Who Expect To Qualify for Special Tax Treatment)