The Federal Excise Tax claims or refunds can be claimed online through http://TaxExcise.com the only website that support all Schedules (1,2,3,5,6 & 8). When you owe back your refunds on your reported quarterly excise taxes, you can do it online, the fastest way to claim a refund back from the IRS. Electronic filing enables faster processing and IRS will mail you the refund amount, this is the trend now with the IRS.
Form 8849, Claim for Refund of Excise Taxes is also used to report a claim that you owe back from IRS for your Federal Vehicle Use Tax Form 2290. There 3 different claims and they are;
- Low Mileage Claim on a heavy vehicle
- Traded or Sold Vehicle claims and
- Over Paid Claims
Apart from Form 2290, you could use Form 8849 for various claims and they are;
- Refund on a Excise Tax reported for the fuel you sell, could be diesel, gasoline or fuel mixture credits etc.
- Nontaxable Use of Fuels
- Sales of fuels by a Registered Ultimate Vendors and etc.
- Other Claims that is not covered in any schedules using Schedule 6 return.